NSE May Newsletter
“Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there!” – Will Rogers
Greetings, North Star Families!
As I write this last newsletter for the 2017-2018 school year, I am reminded of all the growth our students have made this year. We have a lot to celebrate. Students at North Star are growing both academically and socially at levels we have not seen previously. However, all this growth could be lost over the summer. It’s called summer slump and it’s a nation wide problem. Research shows that children can easily forget the skills they have learned over the school year. Children who stay engaged in learning throughout the summer can not only maintain their skills but also increase their knowledge.
Keeping kids’ brains active over the summer really makes a difference. Here are a variety of summer programs you may want to consider:
- Anythink Library ~ The library has many different children’s programs throughout the summer. Call the library at 303-452-7534 for more information.
- PEAK Summer Program - PEAK will host a ½ day summer program for students ages 7 – 10. If you would like your child to participate, pick up an interest form in the front office and turn it in by May 14th. Students who are accepted will be contacted by PEAK. Since North Star will be undergoing renovations this summer, PEAK will be held at STEM Launch. Transportation will be provided to and from North Star to STEM. If you have any questions about the program, call PEAK at 720-972-8123.
- Adams County YMCA Summer Programs- 1500 E 128th Avenue (303) 452-9622
- City of Thornton Community City Summer Programs- 2211 Eppinger Blvd (720) 977-5901
- At home, you can also encourage your child to read 30 minutes a night and connect with literacy and math games on the North Star Elementary Website at northstar.adams12.org.
On a final note, the month of May is packed with school activities. We hope to see you at some or all of the upcoming events at North Star listed in our school newsletter.